Outlier Media is a national leader in service journalism design and a local reporting powerhouse in Detroit. Founded in 2016, the team at Outlier has spent the last few years developing methods and new products to fill information gaps in low-wealth communities. We have collaborated with local and national outlets to publish reporting that holds people, corporations and government accountable for neglect or abuses of power. We strive to provide information to individuals that makes self-determination more possible.
Over the next several years, our goal is to demonstrate the potential for journalism to create a mass audience through reflective and responsive reporting based on information and accountability needs. It is an ambitious goal to reinvigorate local journalism to sufficiently hold powerful people and institutions accountable.
We are hiring a civic life reporter to keep Detroiters informed about community, city and county happenings and to work closely with our almost 500-person strong Detroit Documenters network. The right candidate for this role loves working as part of a team, has great reporting chops and an expansive view of public participation. This job is in the city of Detroit and is not a remote position, though working from home when needed is fine.
The civic life reporter will report to the managing editor.
In this role you will:
- Use reporting to help keep Detroiters informed about things at the community, city and county level that impact their ability to meet their challenges and achieve their goals
- Help grow the impact of the Detroit Documenters program and regularly connect with current Detroit Documenters
- Work inside Outlier Media’s text message service occasionally, to help meet the information needs of Detroiters
- Edit Detroit Documenters notes
- Work collaboratively with other newsrooms in the Collaborative Detroit Newsrooms Network
- Participate in weekly, in-person editorial meetings with the Outlier team
- Be a valued and valuable member of a high-performing, innovative and supportive team working for Detroiters
- 3+ years of journalism experience
- Belief in Outlier’s mission and values
- Dedication to filling audience needs
- Enthusiasm about working in an environment that appreciates and reflects the diversity of Detroit, along with skills to navigate a diverse workplace
- Interest in data, FOIA requests or photography is always a plus
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Enthusiastic about collaboration and learning
What we offer
Outlier is a small team of dedicated professionals. We work hard and expect high-quality work from ourselves and each other. However, we also support learning, growing, and stretching. We support each other’s professional and personal goals. We have healthy boundaries, and we have worked to create an environment that helps us avoid burnout rather than hobble through it.
Pay and Benefits
- Starting salary of $66,560
- Benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance covered at 100% for employees and 75% for dependents
- 401k with up to 4% company match
- 21 days vacation per calendar year in addition to unlimited mental health days
- Generous parental leave policy
- $2,000 annual professional development stipend
- Monthly technology stipend included in paycheck
- Flexible work from home policy
- Relocation stipend
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Outlier Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value and celebrate diversity and work toward equity. We encourage applicants from marginalized identities to apply.
How to apply
To apply please send a cover letter and résumé to managing editor Erin Perry at firstname.lastname@example.org.