We are looking for someone creative and dedicated to lead our charge to expand and engage Outlier’s audience to help address information gaps and systemic failures in Detroit. You will help our newsroom listen to Detroiters and equip residents to meet their challenges and achieve their goals. This position reports to Outlier’s Editor-in-Chief.
Responsibilities will include:
Grow audience for Outlier news products to build connections with our communities and reach Detroit residents who have been historically undervalued by legacy media organizations. Willingness to experiment with new ways to reach our audiences while maintaining excellent judgment is key.
Oversee analytics; define audience goals and track trends; use data insights to inform audience decisions working in concert with the editorial team. Develop and iterate on best practices for social, search and content packaging; lead newsroom adoption. Produce content when needed to fulfill audience strategy, including repackaging and publishing original pieces that fill community needs.
Work with Editor-in-Chief to supplement our team’s information-needs surveys and community listening practices; help manage TXT OUTLIER (our SMS text service delivering essential info) to ensure Outlier is reaching Detroiters with current, verified and valuable information.
Develop strategies for social channels including Instagram, TikTok, Facebook and Twitter; experiment with reaching audiences on emerging platforms and equip our Social Media Producer to maintain content calendar; manage social media marketing.
Work with other newsroom leaders to pursue new growth and engagement opportunities, including sponsorships, partnerships and event programs. Enthusiastically collaborate with members of our newsroom to bring audience expertise to initiatives from product, development, marketing and the Detroit Documenters civic engagement and training program.
This position may indirectly supervise or manage contractors or part-time employees.
- Previous experience in content creation, digital strategy or audience growth for a newsroom, nonprofit or social justice organization. You should be comfortable coaching others on digital best practices and setting newsroom-wide strategies for growing and engaging loyal audiences.
- A thorough understanding of and commitment to quality local journalism and ethical best practices on digital and social platforms.
- Clear, concise writing skills on and for digital platforms.
- Prior knowledge or demonstrated ability to master digital tools for growth and engagement. Our tech stack and internal workflows are currently powered by tools like WordPress, Bloomerang, Memberful, Zapier, MailChimp, Slack and Google Workspace.
- Ability to work in a diverse work environment that appreciates and reflects the diversity of Detroit.
- Flexibility to adjust hours to meet deadlines and needs of the organization.
- The ability to set goals and hit the ground running to meet them. You will have the support of your team and Outlier’s networks, but our work often requires the ability to identify issues and problem solve.
This position is based in Detroit. We work from our midtown office and from home.
What we offer
Outlier is a small team of dedicated professionals. We work hard and expect high-quality work from ourselves and each other. However, we also support learning, growing and stretching. We support each other’s professional and personal goals. We have healthy boundaries, and we have worked to create an environment that helps us avoid burnout rather than hobble through it. For the Audience Engagement Manager position, we offer:
Pay and Benefits
- Annual salary $70,000
- Relocation stipend
- 100% Employer Paid Health Care for full time staff (75% for dependents)
- 401K and 4% employer match
- Paid Maternity/Paternity Leave
- Yearly professional development stipend
- Generous vacation, PTO, and holiday leave
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Outlier Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value and celebrate diversity and work toward equity. We encourage applicants from marginalized identities to apply.
How to Apply
To apply, click here. The application deadline is Jan. 31, 2023.