Outlier Media is a national leader in service journalism design and a local reporting powerhouse in Detroit. The team at Outlier has spent the last few years developing methods and new products to fill information gaps in low-wealth communities. We are looking for an experienced science reporter to contribute information and reporting that will equip Detroiters to meet systemic challenges and achieve their goals.
This is a two-year, grant-funded position, with the possibility of longer term employment.
Responsibilities will include:
- Explaining science-related breaking news relevant to Detroiters.
- Making general science stories and investigative stories involving science engaging and valuable to our audience.
The science reporter will cover issues relevant to Detroit, including regional, national and international scientific issues or discoveries that will impact the city and its people. Outlier’s current beats include housing, utilities, transportation, and city and county government, and we hope that our science reporter will work collaboratively with our editorial team to find stories that intersect with our current reporting areas, in addition to creating new areas of coverage for Outlier. This position reports to Outlier’s managing editor.
A strong candidate will have all of the following:
- 3+ years of experience in reporting on science or science-related topics, including breaking news, trending topics, and enterprise and analysis reporting
- Source network that offers insight and developments related to the beat
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Experience creating and using public records requests in your reporting
- Belief in Outlier’s mission and values
- Dedication to filling audience needs
- Enthusiasm about working in an environment that appreciates and reflects the diversity of Detroit, along with skills to navigate a diverse workplace
- Enthusiasm about collaboration
This position is based in Detroit. We work from our Midtown office and from home.
What we offer
Outlier is a small team of dedicated professionals. We work hard and expect high-quality work from ourselves and each other. However, we also support learning, growing and stretching. We support each other’s professional and personal goals. We have healthy boundaries, and we have worked to create an environment that helps us avoid burnout rather than hobble through it.
Pay and Benefits
- Starting salary of $75,000
- Relocation stipend
- Benefits include health, dental and vision insurance
- 401K with company match
- Parental leave, generous vacation, PTO, and holiday leave
- Annual professional development stipend and monthly technology stipend
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Outlier Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value and celebrate diversity. We encourage applicants from marginalized identities to apply.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter and résumé to Managing Editor Erin Perry at firstname.lastname@example.org.