Outlier Media is looking to strategically grow and connect more meaningfully with current and future donors to help sustain the organization.
Outlier Media is a national leader in service journalism design and a local reporting powerhouse in Detroit. Founded in 2016, the team at Outlier has spent the last few years developing methods and new products to fill information gaps in low-wealth communities. We have collaborated with local and national outlets to publish reporting that holds people, corporations and government accountable for neglect and abuse of power. We strive to provide information to individuals that makes self-determination more possible.
Over the next several years, our goal is to demonstrate the potential for our work to reach a mass audience through reflective and responsive reporting based on information and accountability needs. It is an ambitious goal to reinvigorate local journalism to sufficiently hold powerful people and institutions accountable.
We’re seeking someone with a passion for journalism that highlights and amplifies marginalized communities and who has experience moving people from audience members to supporters.
The ideal candidate loves to be part of a team and knows how to bring people into community to help build organizations and missional impact by helping grow revenue.
This position is part of a national program to help startup digital newsrooms achieve scale and sustainability. As such, our fundraising and marketing associate will not only have Outlier’s internal team to lean on but also the resources and expertise of leading news revenue experts from around the nation.
In this role you will:
- Work with our executive director and development director to engage with our donors and audience to grow the revenue that funds our work.
- Lead the effort to generate enthusiasm around supporting Outlier’s work via our newsletter audiences.
- Help develop campaign strategies for fundraising and create metrics for assessing success.
- Assist with the design and execution of events co-hosted with and for our supporters.
- Help manage our donor database on an ongoing basis to conduct and enable effective stewardship.
- Bring your genius to the holistic work of expanding resources for our newsroom.
- Experiment and bring new concepts to the fundraising toolbox.
- Assist with other fundraising tasks as needed.
This position is partially funded by the LION-Facebook Revenue Growth Fellowship, a program run by LION Publishers, an association for independent news publishers, and funded by the Facebook Journalism Project. This position will be one of Lion’s Revenue Growth Fellows and will have the opportunity to participate in ongoing training and coaching and to learn from other fellows in the cohort. As a fellow, you’ll:
- Attend five coaching sessions through LION Publishers’ Revenue Growth Fellowship program through October.
- Attend optional monthly peer sessions for the program through October.
- Produce occasional light progress reports for LION through October.
- 3+ years of experience developing strategies for campaigns and/or fundraisers
- Project manager with a track record of independent, self-directed work and cross-functional projects
- Working knowledge of translating digital metrics to revenue decision making
- Expertise in MailChimp and working knowledge of other email newsletters systems
- Basic understanding of CRM’s (direct experience with Bloomerang is a plus)
- Customer service experience and or stewardship experience
- Belief in Outlier’s mission and values
- Dedication to understanding community needs and resources
- Great judgment
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Enthusiastic about collaboration with newsletter leads and our business team
What we offer
Outlier is a team of dedicated professionals. We work hard and expect high-quality work from ourselves and each other. However, we also support learning, growing and stretching. We support each other’s professional and personal goals. We have healthy boundaries, and we have worked to create an environment that helps us avoid burnout rather than hobble through it.
For the fundraising and marketing associate, we offer the following:
- $32/hr for up to 30 hours per week
- $1,000 professional development stipend
- This is a locally remote position, but candidates can work from the office. (There are times you will need to be in-office/events.)
- This position does not include health benefits.
Outlier Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value and celebrate diversity and work toward equity. We encourage applicants from marginalized identities to apply.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter and résumé to executive director Candice Fortman firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are due by 5 p.m. ET on Thursday, April 13, 2023.