About Outlier Media
Outlier Media is a news service based in Detroit, Michigan filling information and accountability gaps since 2017. We seek to fill the news needs of low-income residents who make up at least two-thirds of the city but are poorly served by other news outlets. By keeping residents first, we hope to give more than we take and leave people with the information they need to create change in their communities. Outlier is an organization of people who deeply believe you must live your organizational values. We want to work with people who are motivated to use their skills to unlock more accountability, especially in low wealth communities and communities of color.
Outlier is an innovative, collaborative and supportive journalism organization. We are a small shop but have collaborators and supporters all over the city and the country.
Outlier is looking for a quality-driven and creative reporter to help us meet the needs of Arabic speakers in Metro Detroit. This reporter will help respond directly to news consumers through our SMS product, will report original stories and will collaborate on future news products.
- Work inside the text message feed to meet news consumers daily information needs
- Identify information or accountability gaps from SMS feed and rigorous reporting
- Report out and publish work tot help fill accountability gaps
$32/hour for 30 hours per week
This is a temporary contract position lasting six months from the date of hire. This position was made possible in part thanks to a grant from the Facebook Journalism Project. As an organization, Outlier is always working to expand our resources so we can grow our team and cover more communities and work with more talented journalists. This position is no exception. If there is an opportunity to expand this role or lengthen the term we will make it happen and remain transparent about your future with Outlier.
Necessary skills and experience
- Two years of reporting experience
- Fluent in Arabic
- Detail oriented
- Must believe in relentless fact-checking
- Ability to work collaboratively and respectfully with individuals and news organizations throughout the community
- Applicants must be living in Metro Detroit, but the position will be remote.
Are you ready to apply?
To apply, please send the following to email@example.com by 5 p.m. EST, Wednesday, July 29:
- Your resume/CV.
- A cover letter/statement of interest. Tell us why you are a good fit for Outlier Media. What does journalism at the intersection of poverty, power and policy look like to you?
- Links to at least four work samples your consider relevant to this role. This can be written, audio or video.
We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.