Applications are due by Friday, September 17 at 5 pm EST.
Outlier Media is a national leader in service journalism design and a local reporting powerhouse in Detroit. Founded in 2016, the team at Outlier has spent the last few years developing methods and new products to fill information gaps in low-wealth communities. We have collaborated with local and national outlets to publish reporting that holds people, corporations and government accountable for neglect or abuses of power. We strive to provide information to individuals that makes self-determination more possible.
Over the next several years, our goal is to demonstrate the potential for journalism to create a mass audience through reflective and responsive reporting based on information and accountability needs. It is an ambitious goal to reinvigorate local journalism to sufficiently hold powerful people and institutions accountable.
We are hiring a Director of Audience to help us build our product and digital strategy, to engage our audience, and to increase audience-driven revenue. The right candidate for this role can manage day-to-day activities while also building strategies for future growth. They should also be flexible to adjust hours to meet deadlines and needs of the organization, including availability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
This job is located in the city of Detroit and is not a remote position, though working from home when needed or preferred is fine.
The Director of Audience will report to the Editor-in-Chief.
In this role you will:
- In collaboration with the editorial staff, build a daily audience engagement strategy and workflow.
- Develop and implement a strategic vision for converting our SMS users into an audience for additional reporting that addresses information or accountability gaps in Detroit.
- Assist the editorial team in using insights from our desired audience to shape additional news and information products that can meet their needs.
- Develop analytics and define goals to help us understand and expand our journalism’s reach and impact.
- Grow our newsletter subscriptions and deepen engagement with these readers.
- Cultivate our Detroit Documenters program into an audience for our accountability reporting on outliermedia.org along with relevant reporting from our partners.
- In collaboration with the editorial team, build and execute a social media strategy.
- Work with the Development Director to understand what audience development strategies Outlier needs and how to begin to develop audience-driven revenue strategies.
- Establish best practices for audience cultivation and engagement.
- Set the standard for which data and insights can help us understand user behavior so we can better serve our audience and track those analytics.
- Belief in Outliers mission and values
- Dedication to filling audience needs
- Enthusiasm about working in an environment that appreciates and reflects the diversity of Detroit along with skills to navigate a diverse workplace
- Great judgment
- Comfortable working with and gaining insights from data
- Proven manager of systems, people and information flow
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Enthusiastic about collaboration
- Supportive and respectful
What we offer
Outlier is a small team of dedicated professionals. We work hard and expect high-quality work from ourselves and each other. However, we also support learning, growing and stretching. We support each other’s professional and personal goals. We have healthy boundaries, and we have worked to create an environment that helps us avoid burnout rather than hobble through it. For the Director of Audience position, we offer:
- Starting salary of $75K
- Relocation stipend
- Benefits include health, dental and vision insurance, 401K, generous vacation, PTO, and holidays
- Funded and supported professional development opportunities
Outlier Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value and celebrate diversity and work toward equity. We encourage applicants from marginalized identities to apply. To apply please fill out our application here.