Outlier Media is a Detroit-based service journalism organization. We identify, report, and deliver valuable information to empower residents to hold businesses, municipal government, and elected officials accountable for long-standing problems.
We have developed and deployed a methodology to identify community information needs. We fill those information gaps with reported information over our SMS-based information service. With our partners, we publish watchdog and investigative pieces when information or resource gaps point us to a lack of accountability or a systemic problem.
Outlier is a local asset and a national model of service journalism. We’re hiring a Managing Editor to work with Editor-in-Chief Sarah Alvarez on our small but powerful team as we grow to serve more Detroiters and reimagine local news as an essential service. Our newsroom will grow over the next several years. We need a skilled and thoughtful editor and manager who can help us continue to produce the high-quality and innovative work Detroiters deserve.
The Managing Editor will help develop and deliver Outlier’s necessary reporting. They will manage our editorial department. Responsibilities include the day-to-day production and deployment of our SMS service, accountability stories we publish with our partners, evergreen subject matter guides for our news consumers (tax auction FAQ, for example), additional news apps, and newsletters. Editors that desire can also report their own stories when time allows. Specifically, the Managing Editor will need to:
- Manage editorial partnerships.
- Support and help reporters
todo their best work. You will work with reporters from story planning to publication, and learn and support the reporter’s professional growth plans.
- Manage multiple workflows, including supporting reporters through a story, copy editing, fact-checking, and managing questions brought to our newsroom from our SMS users and Detroit Documenters.
- Ensure information in our SMS system is current, verified, and valuable
- Help identify, recruit and support Outlier staff.
- Monitor and assess performance on story development, personal growth plans, and performance reviews for Outlier staff.
- Help track Outlier’s editorial impacts.
- Five + years as an accountability reporter and/or editor
- Rock-solid ethical and editorial judgment
- Commitment to and skill with fact-checking
- Record of effective and respectful teamwork
- Enthusiastic about collaboration with other news organizations
- Experience and aptitude in managing teams and systems
- Commitment to treating sources, partners, and colleagues with dignity
- Enthusiasm about working in an environment that appreciates and reflects the diversity of Detroit along with skill in navigating a diverse workplace
- This job is located in the city of Detroit and is not a remote position, though working from home when needed or preferred is fine.
What we offer
Outlier is a small team of dedicated professionals. We work hard and expect high-quality work from ourselves and each other. However, we also support learning, growing, and stretching. We support each other’s professional and personal goals. We have healthy boundaries and we have worked to create an environment that helps us avoid burnout rather than hobble through it. We also offer:
- Starting salary of $85K
- Relocation stipend
- Benefits include health, dental and vision insurance, 401K and a match, generous vacation, PTO, and holidays
- Funded and supported professional development opportunities
Outlier Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value and celebrate diversity and work towards equity. We encourage applicants from marginalized identities to apply. To apply, send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and fill out our application here.